Jurgen Appelo is running a big survey to try to identify what Agile practices actually get used.
I like the idea of the survey because I've often wondered how much real pair programming actually occurs. I've never run into it personally, nor have I run into someone who had done it.
Mostly, I wonder how many implementations match what I read to be the definitive way to do it: 2 coders partnering, then switching partners, and thus tasks, every 4 hours. Everyday, a coder would have 2 partners and up to 2 tasks. I believe I read this in Robert Martin's Agile Principles, Patterns, and Practices (one of the best programming books I've ever read), though I could be wrong. 2 partners and 2 tasks everyday seems crazy to me.
Unfortunately, after taking the survey, it doesn't seem like I will get a good answer to my question, as the questions are not that granular. I will note, however, that pair programming seems to have one of the lowest adoption rates among the well-known, often-mentioned Agile practices (e.g., user stories, scrum, TDD, etc.)
But that's okay, it's still useful to take the survey, so go ahead.
No comments:
Post a Comment