Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Best software dev books

I'm in the middle of reading Agile Software Development, and it has already cracked my top 5 favorite software development books of all time. A more detailed review will be forthcoming.

My five favorite software development books (with links to Amazon because the reviews can be helpful):

Code Complete by Steve McConnell
Agile Software Development, Principles, Patterns, and Practices by Robert C. Martin
Effective Java by Joshua Block
Refactoring by Martin Fowler
Thinking in Java by Bruce Eckel

Also see this somewhat scientifically compiled list of the best software dev books of all time by Jurgen Appelo. Perhaps not surprisingly, three of mine show up in the top 10.

I see I have left off The Mythical Man-Month, which is a classic; very insightful and still highly relevant. That one probably would bump Thinking in Java, but I'm giving Eckel extra points for being a vanguard and publishing for free. I'm surprised more people have not followed this path -- and yes, I ended up buying a hard-copy. I haven't read five in the top ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment