I'm still watching Celebrity Apprentice. In fact, it's the only show I watch -- not because it's the best show on, but it comes on at a convenient time for me, and after following a show for a while, it's more interesting.
The show offers numerous examples of bad project management on a weekly basis. Donald Trump may be the worst manager I've ever seen.
One trend I noticed: Almost every week, someone says something like, "I hate [Bob]. He's a useless slacker and an idiot." This usually happens on the team that loses. Then, the next week, Bob will be a shining star, usually if that team wins.
The key to a contestant's output almost always revolves around the task(s) they're given. Did they understand what's expected of them? Did they feel the task utilizes their skills? Did they understand the value of it? Did they feel they could contribute more? In many cases, contestants weren't even assigned tasks.
Country singer Clint Black pisses people off regularly, but this week, everyone loved his ideas involving clever text snippets. Herschel Walker alternates between being non-existent to highly useful, depending on how straightforward the work is. As a counter example, Jesse James, of West Coast Choppers fame, makes heavy contributions in design and marketing, but this week he held back valuable donors from his team (so that he could save them for his own use).
That guy on your team who you hate because you think he's selfish, a slacker, and an idiot? If you're the project manager, maybe that's your fault.
No comments:
Post a Comment