Monday, November 16, 2009

Voice is destiny

Everyday, Pandora offers me songs I've never heard before, songs that are similar to the ones I have registered.  Some of the suggestions I like, some I don't.

Many of the songs I like have hard rock roots, like The Smashing Pumpkins.  Eventually, Pandora will a song that fits in the same category, except for one very specific trait: the voice will be deep and "monster-like".  Think Metallica.  As soon as I hear a voice like that, I thumbs-down the song. 

Think about the difference between Metallica and bands like the Pumpkins.  You could argue that both have a lot of talent.  Both do a lot yelling.  But the Pumpkins yell in a relatively higher pitch, while Metallica uses the monster voice. 

Even if everything else was equal, that small difference would make all the difference.  I suspect people who like metal are attracted to the low, powerful, almost threatening voice metal bands often use. 

This is a long way of getting to discussing one's voice at work.

We frequently have discussions with users and business managers about deadlines that need to be met, deliverables that disappointed, features needed yesterday.  Your voice will make a big difference in how the conversation will turn out.

Occasionally, a powerful, threatening voice might work, but usually, you want to cultivate teamwork and mutual empathy.  Soften your voice, and try to persuade, not control.

And, as a side note, smile as much as possible, in direct proportion to how much trouble your message might stir up.  Unless you're singing in a hard rock band.

No comments:

Post a Comment