Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Talent is Overrated

Or so says Geoff Colvin.

If someone tells you, "I know the secret to super performance, and it's not talent," you know what the answer is, right? Hard work. Which is basically what this book says. He actually says it's 10 years of hard work to become an world-class performer.

He takes it a little further, explaining the necessity for "deliberate practice" as opposed to just regular practice. The difference is most obvious in activities with clear goals. It's free-throw shooting for hours instead of pick-up games. Repeatedly working through a knotty part of that concerto with deep concentration, not just breezing through easy pieces.

For software developers, I thought TDD would be a good analogy. TDD forces you to regularly think about testing your software, until you're writing good, modular software by second nature, and you can do it with increasingly complex applications.

To do effective "deliberate practice" in business professions, you often need a mentor -- someone who's better than you are -- to tell you, "This is one thing you should work on, and here's how you can do it." That focuses you on building the right skills.

He provided some good research about external and internal motivation. Basically, your intrinsic motivations will outweigh everything else. Managers have to figure out what that is for each person and how to arrange the work accordingly; motivation can't simply be bought.

Books like this can be useful as a reminder about how you want to spend your day, but since I had a good idea what he was going to say, I wouldn't normally have picked it up.

But, I saw some effusive praise on the back cover from people I admire: Daniel Pink, Herb Kelleher, a couple others. (Oh yeah, Donald Trump is there too.) Then I found out they're all cited in the book either as vanguards in the research he quotes, or as examples of outstanding performers --no wonder! In the end, the book is overrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment