Monday, September 21, 2009

Simple test of how good your job is

It was posted a couple years ago, but I love this test of whether you have a good job. Take a quick look at the list.

Notice that having two friends puts you in the middle "probably a good job" category, regardless of what else is going on.

I recently experienced this rather directly. Due to all the layoffs and departmental changes, about 4 months ago, despite going into my 8th year at my company, I suddenly was not working with a single person I had ever worked with before. It jolted me a little, and I felt bummed out in an odd, vague way for a while.

I'm a slow-friender -- it takes me a while, and then I like to stay in contact for a long time. I have co-workers that I consider friends from several jobs back, in other cities. We don't talk that often, but we're still close enough that we could stay at each other's houses if we were in town.

Tomorrow, I plan to write about how to make more money. But often, it's the little things that we don't think of, that aren't on our list of job priorities, that actually determine our job happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment