Great rumination about why computer science is the only field to suffer declining women participation. Think about that: even if you want to troop out the arguments that skills get rewarded, you need to come up with some explanation why computer science dismally stands alone.
Even the comments, which you always expect to devolve into blathering screeds that eventually result in someone being compared to Hitler, especially on a topic like this, add nuances to the discussion.
I also wonder if there's an east coast difference, or perhaps a financial industry difference. I don't run into a lot of those stereotypical, non-communicative, "don't touch my code" types around me. We still don't have a huge percent of women in IT, but that could be because women are smarter and go work on the trading floor where they make up a significant percentage and the pay is much higher.
The managers I've been around and the hiring I've participated in have actively tried to recruit more women. Everything being equal, we'll actually hire a woman over a man simply to increase our diversity. I would go so far as to say that many people I've worked with would pay a bit more to hire women.
But the financial industry, for all its faults, does a relatively good job at institutionalizing the need for diversity. And New York is diverse like no place on earth.
No comments:
Post a Comment