Monday, August 10, 2009

Common knowledge that needs research

We already know this:
New research shows that 13 of 14 common workplace-relationship problems, such as broken commitments, mistrust and misrepresentation of information, occur more than twice as often with virtual teams, as opposed to teams located in the same building.

In short, the survey finds that distance ultimately does more harm than good.
We know this from experiences with off-shore development, which usually fails not because the workers off-shore are dumber or unskilled, but mainly because they are so far removed from the users and the power center.

I feel the gap of distance when half the team sits at a different location only a few miles away, and even though we all speak the same language and meet every couple weeks.

If the guy is next to me, I can see when he's got a free minute and I'm not interrupting him, so even though I might interrupt him constantly, it doesn't feel negative. He'll feel more interest in working on a problem with me, because I'm right there and we're talking, not some nagging email, another task to check-off.

Frankly, I notice the difference even between the guy sitting next to me, and other coders who sit a few rows away.

We know all this, so isn't research like this ridiculous? Sadly, no.

Managers like to create stories about how technology and virtual teams enable cutting costs, with no downside.

We developers like to believe we don't require personal interaction with our users, we can just send an email. Or we don't really need to collaborate, we can just work on our own hours at home.

Yes, some of the trouble can be mitigated with superior technology and tools. But there is always a cost.

If you're someone who works at home regularly, understand that it will be very difficult for you to grow your career. Perhaps you are looking for more balance in your life anyway, so that's fine with you. But if you still want to be on a growth track, you'll have to outperform by double or triple people who just show up.

No comments:

Post a Comment