After I recently graduated with my MBA, my dad said, "You must be proud of your accomplishment." My response: "Actually, I'm probably more proud of being able to swim a mile everyday!"
Over the past 2 years while in school, I went from being able to do about 12 laps max, to doing 32 laps on a regular basis.
In school, the curriculum was set up; I just followed the path. It takes work to get out, but it takes true incompetence and an unwillingness to make an effort to get bad grades in b-school. At graduation, they give me a fancy diploma and a big ceremony.
Meanwhile, the swimming was completely optional. Everyday, I set my own goal and then decided whether to meet it. Nobody else cared. Because of that, the swimming required real mental effort, real commitment.
Your job is the same way. Your boss and co-workers require things from you. But what are you doing that you're proud of?
No comments:
Post a Comment