I think of software teams as entrepreneurs. Not just because so many software companies are start-ups trying to find a niche. Even at big companies like where I work now, the entrepreneurial spirit drives the success stories.
Read this NY Times article about laid-off workers putting their creativity to do new things. The subject of entrepreneurialism fascinates me, because the good IT departments at my company, as well as the good small companies where I have worked, all have that same spirit.
At one start-up I worked at back in the 90s, we had a huge client-server installed base. Eventually, Java and web service type applications showed too much benefit, and we jumped with two feet into that space. What made that a great time was not the relief that I could strengthen my resume, but being surrounded by individuals who eagerly threw away everything they knew, where we were experts, for the chance to try some new things, where we were rookies.
At larger companies, organizational bureaucracy may crush the entrepreneurial spirit. But, I also find that a large number of the people who come to larger companies no longer have a hunger to learn, or even a curiosity about what is going on around them.
The best IT departments in our company attack problems like something personal is at stake, as if they were laid off, and it's now up to them to find solutions, to try new things. This can be difficult -- there is a lot of organizational bureaucracy of course -- but that should be the aim of every team and department. If yours is lacking that, then figuring out how to change it becomes the top priority.
No comments:
Post a Comment