Monday, February 23, 2009

The end of H-1B?

Thomas Friedman notes:
the U.S. Senate unfortunately voted on Feb. 6 to restrict banks and other financial institutions that receive taxpayer bailout money from hiring high-skilled immigrants on temporary work permits known as H-1B visas.

Not only will "buy American" sentiment continue to grow, but the original purpose of the H-1B program -- to fill the shortfall in technology workers -- begins to look silly as the numbers of laid-off tech workers increase. I personally know several good technologists searching for work. If this downturn continues for any amount of time -- and it appears that it will -- then that shortfall will surely disappear.

At the same time, like everyone else in the industry, I have worked with plenty of H-1Bs, and have become good friends with many of them, so I wouldn't be in favor of shipping people out.

Ironically, it's probably in the best interest of countries who send their H-1B workers to the U.S. to keep them at home. But, what's good for the team (country) in the long-term may not be what's good for the individual in the short-term.

Currently, the U.S. acts like the New York Yankees of the world. The Yankees hire the most expensive and best players, tilting the odds of a championship in their favor. Smaller teams constantly have to re-tool with young, unproven players. Similarly, the best and brightest come here for better pay and working conditions, tilting the odds in favor of exciting new innovations being created in the U.S. They help start new enterprises that make their solutions available first to U.S. companes. Their countries of origin have to constantly train new talent to stock their own companies.

In general, I am in favor of more immigration. Economies with greater immigration prove to be stronger than those with less. Japan has suffered economically since the 90s in large part because of a lack of immigration, combined with a very low reproduction rate.

I'm not sure that targeting immigration to a specific category of worker is the best way to go about it, but it may be the only way to achieve the desire ends politically.

Thus, let me say: long live the H-1B!

Remind me I said this if I get laid off. But, you have to believe in your own value, that quality wins out in the end. As a result, I have confidence my friends, currently out of work, will find something soon, being smart and highly capable guys.

Difficult times put your beliefs to the test. That's when you find out what you truly believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment