Sunday, March 21, 2010

Interview techniques: best man for the job

 Sometimes, literally:
The other question I ask is if they’ve ever been in anyone’s wedding party. If someone has asked them to stand next to him on the most important day of his life, at least one person thinks they are responsible. It means they’ve been able to establish and continue a relationship. It’s not always true, but if you build strong relationships with people, you tend to go into a management meeting or a negotiation and come out of it with some respect.
An offbeat idea, to be sure, but at least it catches people in a moment of honesty, and it provides a reasonable minimum personality requirement.  Not to mention, it beats the heck out of the standard way, which Seth Godin neatly and swiftly destroys.

Your company may not do the trial / intern thing, and for technical jobs, a coding test should be 100% standard.  I don't necessarily go for a 10-line program like Jeff Atwood -- I like more open-ended, longer tasks -- but I prefer any real coding task over asking very specific questions about language syntax, which, to me, are the job interview equivalent to "What did Huckleberry Finn eat for lunch?" questions my English teacher would ask on tests to try to make sure you read the book.  Even if someone knows the answer, what does that prove she learned about the story?

No comments:

Post a Comment