This is an old book that everyone knows. I was drawn to it by the title. Effectiveness continues to be a top priority. Habits indicates hard work, no shortcuts; I'm a believer in practice making perfect. Highly, as opposed to Super or Awesomely, is understated and again indicates realistic goals.
Also, the title is much better than How to Win Friends and Influence People. Apparently, we've learned to be slightly less obvious in our ambitions.
I particularly liked the section on being more proactive. I mentioned in an earlier post that he has the best definition of proactive, one that actually means something. I don't know if he coined "proactive" or "win-win", but he might have been the one to popularize them. Now, those words have been so overused that they barely resonate.
Covey also has a strong smell of authenticity. You really get the sense that he lives what he's preaching, that he would be living that way even if he knew he couldn't package it up and sell it, and gives the whole thing credence.
This book is particularly good for someone who is in a funk, or maybe between jobs, and needs some direction. He offers practical ways to implement what he's saying, though I found the "private" / personal changes to be more interesting than the "public" / interpersonal one, perhaps because the interpersonal ones have been re-done and re-stated so many times since then.
No comments:
Post a Comment